The Lowland Leader Award assessment is a further two day course following your consolidation period. Assessments for us are all about setting an atmosphere in which everyone feels welcome and able to perform at their best with the minimum of stress. We know assessments are a challenge – we’ve been there! So we work hard to ensure you get the best out of yourself when it matters, making the assessment experience as relaxed and enjoyable as possible.
This course is delivered from our Training Centre, in Hathersage, in the Peak District.
For more information on the Lowland Leader Award and to register for the scheme please visit the Mountain Training website.
Scope of the Award
The Lowland Leader award trains and assesses candidates in the skills required to lead others on walks in lowland countryside and woodland that fit ALL of the following criteria:
- Walks must not cross any hazardous terrain (e.g. cliffs, very steep slopes, water hazards etc.).
- Throughout the walk the group should never generally be more than 3km away from a key access point such as a car park, lay-by or populated area. Any potential escape routes should also lie within the scope of the defined terrain for the Lowland Leader award.
- Walks will require the ability to plan routes, use simple navigation skills using a map and compass and be self-sufficient.
- Walks must follow paths or tracks that are both marked on a map and clearly visible on the ground and that do not require navigation across untracked areas.
- Walks must use bridges or other recognised water crossing points.
- Walks must only take place in summer conditions (i.e. when there is no unavoidable snow or ice on any part of the route).
Pre-Requisites for Attending an Assessment Course
- Attended a Lowland Leader training course (or have been granted exemption)
- Be familiar with the syllabus
- Have logged a minimum of 20 walks in lowland countryside in different types of terrain (woodland, coastal, farmland etc)
- Hold a current first aid certificate, minimum 16 hours and relevant to the work of a Lowland Leader
- It is not essential for candidates to hold a reference to complete the assessment
A strong emphasis will be placed on basic map work and party management throughout your LLA assessment course. The course will also assess your knowledge in many other syllabus areas including, but not limited to:
- Remit of the Lowland Leader Award;
- Personal leadership skills, styles and group management;
- Legal and moral issues of leadership in the outdoors;
- Walking skills and walking proficiency across a variety of different lowland terrain;
- Planning walks – including obtaining appropriate weather information and taking into account a variety of different group needs;
- Basic map work and route finding skills;
- Equipment for both leaders and participants;
- Hazards and emergency procedures including first aid and group management;
- Environmental awareness, conservation, access and land ownership;
- Common incidents that you might encounter while leading in lowland terrain.
Course intro and introductions.
Out on a walk 10:30am – 17:00pm
Assessing personal skills from the syllabus as listed in the course format section.
Evening session 17:00pm – 17:45pm
Planning task ready for a day walk tomorrow.
Out on a walk 09:30am – 16:30pm
Assessing all aspects of the syllabus with an emphasis on leadership skills.
Arrive back at base 17:00pm
Individual debriefs and results. Course close and depart approx. 17:30 – 17:45pm.
Accommodation (not included)
We don’t provide accommodation on our courses as some of our clients would like to stay in luxury accommodation, some in B&B’s, some in Bunkhouses and some like to camp. Therefore we feel our clients benefit from being able choose the accommodation they personally prefer in relation to their budget.
We are more than happy to recommend places to stay. As such after completion of your booking you will receive a course information pack which will contain further information about your course and a selection of local accommodation options.
Can't find a date that suits you?
If you would like to book this course on a specific date, please fill out the form below and we can organise it for you!
Please click on a date below and fill out the form to book online